In English language there are vowels and consonants. Likewise, in Sinhala also there are vowels and consonants. The difference is that in Sinhala all the vowels appear in the beginning and the consonants form another group. The standard Sinhala alphabet has 15 vowels and 42 consonants, and a few other symbols.
Let's start with vowels.
- Sinhala is one of the two official languages in Sri Lanka
- Sinhala is one of the oldest languages of the world. The first historic rock carving believed to be the first use of Sinhala was discovered in 200 BC.
- There are two coexisting versions of the Sinhala language. One version is used for everyday communication while the other is for a formal version for literature.
- Sinhala alphabet has been selected among the five most beautiful languages out of hundreds of languages in the world.
- Sinhala language has stronger connection to Buddhism. One of the oldest inscriptions of Sinhalese is related to Buddhism.
- Sinhala has lot of influence from other language such as Dravidian and Tamil in addition to Dutch, English, and Portuguese.
|Number of Speakers:
||Official Language in Sri Lanka
|Two digit language code (ISO 639-1):